Tuesday, December 29, 2009

...and so it ends.

In August of 2004, I got started on this blog, asking "will I be the careful blog-gardener or the apathetic blog-slum lord?"

In five-plus years and 1126 posts, I was mostly the former. But lately, I've mostly been the latter. In fact, only my commitment to finishing the State Memories Project has brought me here at all lately. I haven't even been posting Letters to Hedgehog for the last couple of months.

Why?

I think there are three reasons.

First, life with a baby is quite crazy. It takes away from the quiet, solitary time I used to spend crafting my thoughts for public consumption.

Second, my Facebook account has become my go-to place whenever anything happens that I want people to know. I've had interesting thoughts to share in the past few months, and when I can do that in a few lines, it becomes a status update. On the half-dozen-or-so occasions when I've wanted to say more, it has become a Facebook note. I have more readers there, and they're all people with some connection to me, so I also get more response there.

Third, anonymous blogs like this one have become faded considerably in the past couple of years. My friends with blogs (like Jack Bog and Jim) blog under their names, and they still move along with surprising fruitfulness. I still read them--and I will as long as they're writing. But most of my friends who blog anonymously have given it up. While I have succeeded in maintaining anonymity here--in that first post, I was convinced it'd all fall apart one day, but I was pretty vigilant, and it never did--that anonymity makes this blog less likely to develop any kind of readership (not that it was ever a goal to get readers) and also, importantly, a little less fun to write.

Make no mistake--I've loved doing this. I've enjoyed it just about every step of the way. I think I'm a better writer, thinker, and friend. Indeed, much to my surprise, I've met many friends through this blog--actual people I hang out with (pankleb and Butterbean). That alone is worth the time I've put in. And the rest of you who are out there and have read me and even responded: I thank you. It felt good to be able to talk to people about the big stuff (I went pretty haywire for the last two presidential elections, as well as my new baby) and the little (see how often I write about Life Minutiae?).

But my default reaction to stuff I that crosses my mind, which for so long was "I have to blog about this," is no longer that. It has both been reduced and transmogrified into something that Facebook does more efficiently and for a better, more set audience.

So this is it...the announcement that anyone who has been paying attention knew was coming:

I'm hanging 'em up. I won't be coming back, at least not as TRP.

I'm actually feeling a little sad about that last sentence, since this has been a big chunk of the way I've expressed myself for so long. But I'll still be out there--just on different parts of the web. The referee website will continue. The new baseball website is gorgeous--I'm prouder of it than of anything I've ever done on the old web. And then, there's Facebook, where I'll occasionally write stuff that used to belong here.

But just like thousands of others that are ending lately, this page as it exists no longer suits my needs or wants as a writer or a person. And since I've always believed that a blog is there to serve the purpose of the writer, not the audience (not that I have much of an audience), there's no reason to continue.

If you read this regularly and are not friends with me on Facebook, feel free to send me an email (to the gmail handle of bloggingref). If you tell me who you are, I might fire off a friend request.

It's been fun riding out the blog fad with you, from near the beginning to here near the end. Surf around the past as much as you'd like--I'll keep this on-line, at least for the foreseeable future. But we've reached the end.

You know--the place where the love you take is equal to the love you make.

And we leave it there...with those last few chords of Abbey Road.

Now, I'll take the needle off before "Her Majesty" begins.

26 comments:

Jack Bog said...

Wanna tell her that I love her a lot
But I gotta get a belly full o' wine...


This blog will be greatly missed. See you on Facebook.

Jim Anderson said...

Sorry to see the blog go... it has its own personality in the way that Facebook can't, but I find your reasons for leaving to be eminently reasonable.

I will grieve far less if you simultaneously join Twitter.

pankleb said...

Take care, TRP, but I'll see you in the "real" world -- and in Facebook's surreal world -- soon.

tommyspoon said...

Loved debating you in public, TRP! Will miss the blog, but you'll be happier on FB.

Zul said...

Hi there. Keep it up for a good job.You really have a lot of nice blog here. Lots of information. I have read and passed on this info to my friends as well.

Cheers!
fivezull
One Drop Perfumes
Free Movies
Online Degrees
Higoat

TeacherRefPoet said...

No more Dana. Only Zul.

Bitter Old Queen said...

As a recently new - and already discouraged - blogger, you have confirmed my suspicions that I am channeling my writing through the wrong platform.

But I think I'll slug it out a little longer.

The Bitter Old Queen

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine to,and be a follower..thanks and God bless..http://forlots.blogspot.com/

hajarwan said...

Hi,
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
Top Fishing Games
Budget Hotels and Resorts
New Delhi Budget Hotel

pcqpig said...

wear jade jewelry can achieve adornment oneself, increase the aesthetic feeling.Due to thejade jewelry color is colorful

sample said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath said...

careful blog gardener i think


Cheers,
how to get rid of bad breath

tips malam pertama said...

awesome post
tips malam pertama
malam pertama
malam pertama pengantin
kisah malam pertama
cerita malam pertama
pengalaman malam pertama
seks malam pertama
cerita lucu malam pertama
madu khaula
percocet 5 325
vicodin 5 500

Bayazid said...

Really nice and informative blog, keep it up buddy…Thanks for sharing.
Video Games Media
Hobby Electronics
Online Shop

Anonymous said...

the blog is very good,you can write lots of things which include you like or not.
Wholesale clothing store
Japanese fashion cloth
Korean fashion cloth
European fashion cloth wholesale
online wholesale store
fashion cloth for women
dress wholesale from China

Anthony said...

Newport Cigarettes Website addition, from part " Double 15 " Brand market foundation and development condition judgment, in addition several platoon phases to, but the foundation is good, the stamina very full brand, specially several big enterprises (about production and marketing scale 3,000,000 box) to 532, 461 wills in must, estimate that also will have several Newport Cigarettes to lose before the goal line xom7nee.

How the brand conformity to continue? Started from the end of last year, the profession entered to the new round brand conformity high tide, although pasted sign's-like conformity technique and the past compares does not have the essential difference and the progress, but made big, the value promotion regarding the brand scale to have the extremely realistic significance and the function truly, particularly has not sent the strength in the preceding round conformity upsurge the brand, after passing through this round conformity, the profession place had advance and the enhancement in big strides Newport Regular Cigarettes.

However, the majority of brands after completing the conformity, besides the scale makes in a big way, the place promotion Marlboro Reds, has not achieved 1+1>2 the conformity effect, was still only the simple mathematical superimposition. Further, because lacks system's plan and the effective fusion, by the conformity brand original brand image, the value connotation, the product style is still retained, the conformity product in the fact upstream to outside the female brand's product system, simultaneously to the female brand in the Cheap Newports, the value and the style has created enormously the destruction and the injury. A more stern reality is, any smoke company basic no longer meets the internal tapping latent potentialities requirement, in other words, brand conformity, in the enterprise interior had already arrived terminus, the further conformity will be facing the cross enterprise, the cross main body, the cross region difficulty, simultaneously under the product alignment's conformity will also be difficult to sustain Cheap Cigarettes Newport 100s.

kevin said...

Mata Mblere

Moncler Jackets For Men

Jackets For Men

Moncler Outlet Platine

kevin21 said...

Amelie Shearling Boot

Caroline Ballet Flat Tory Burch Sale

Cheetah Reva Ballet Flat

Tory Burch Amelie Shearling

Tory Burch Christal Boot

Tory Burch Christal High Heel Boot Review

Tory Burch Duck Boots

Tory Burch Flats

Tory Burch Flip Flops

Tory Burch Model Tb0151

Tory Burch Riding Boot

kevin21 said...

Cheap Tory Burch Shoes

Tory Burch Discount Shoes

Tory Burch

Discount Tory Burch Shoes

Tory Burch Reva Flats Sale

kevin21 said...

Gray Jacket

Moncler Jackets Sale

Coat Women Ziper

kevin said...

Canadian Goose

Canada Goose

Canadiangoose

Canadian Goose Jacket

Canada Goose Parka

Canada Goose Coats

Angel watson said...

Great awesome issues here. I am very glad to look your post. Thanks so much and i am having a look forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

Replica Handbags

Ricardo Lamego said...

http://chickenontheway.blogspot.pt/?expref=next-blog

Naum Franpos said...

Wow very entertaining post. Ive notice that there are many
How to get 1300 Number
that giving to a business to give them many clients. Most busineses are using smart numbers to easily remember by their clients. Thanks