Sunday, March 08, 2009

Nat Quals and Kelly Clarkson

We're still an infant program, so no qualifiers and no finalists. But kids saw what the best of the best are like. The growth continues. I'd love to go to Nats in another 3 years or so. Maybe a little more.

The weekend was a success, however, if only for the drive home. We played the game of "My iPod, your choice" for a while, and kids picked songs off my iPod. First choice: Jason Mraz. Second choice: The Monkees. Quite a shocker to me, that second one.

But then they put their own music. All five of the kids were girls, and all started passionately singing along with Kelly Clarkson's "Behind These Hazel Eyes." And as I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw all five of them singing along, semi-head banging...

well, I couldn't stop grinning.

Then, at the very end of the trip, they decided we had to sing "Since U Been Gone" too. This one I know the chorus of, so along with the five of them, the interim coach and me sang along with rare gusto. I was even able to do it in Kelly's octave (except for the really high bridge..."again and again and again and aGAAAAAAIIIIINNNN"...that one's not for me. Kids sang and laughed...

At the end, they said "This was the best trip ever. WAY better than band or choir! That last song was EPIC!"

And that, more than a finalist or even a national qualifier, probably does more long-term good for my program.

No comments: