Saturday, February 21, 2009

A problem with the super-late part of pregnancy

Wife is due Tuesday.

Lately, every time I've called a friend or family member, I hear this breathless "Oh! Hi! Hey! How are you???" to lead off the conversation. Then, I say "Well, things are fine. Swankette is a little tired of being pregnant, but baby will be here any time now."

Friend or family member will usually respond: "Oh! We were hoping you were calling to say the baby was here!"

Net result: until baby arrives, all of my phone conversations (that I initiate) with friends and family members begin with a tremendous letdown for them. I wish there were a way around it, but I don't see one. Sorry, family and friends.

Maybe this means I should call people more often?

3 comments:

Jack Bog said...

I think you should start every blog post headline with "No baby yet:"

8c)

Good luck to everybody!

Greg said...

Don't be sorry. It's not your fault. :-)

Alison said...

There is some perverse part of me that (pre-delivery) would want to not even mention the baby. Make them ask "so, is there a baby yet?" as though it might have just slipped your mind to tell them.