Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Closing in on an in-class essay

Kids sometimes don't -like- Huck Finn much, but when you set up the questions just right, they can analyze it better than pretty well any book I've ever taught. I occasionally skip it in American Lit, but I think I'll keep it around for good. Maybe give The Crucible a rest next year in favor of something new. But I think I'll keep Huck around for a few more years. Haven't taught it in a while...glad to have it back.

I also now have my AP kids writing on a blog. I post an article every week, and they comment on it, then comment on somebody's comment. I'm stoked by the quality of stuff there.

But why is it when one thing goes wrong during a day, it finds its way to the forefront of my mind for the rest of the day?

A reffing buddy of mine once said it takes 20 "attaboys" to make up for one "oh shit." I wish it weren't true, because it'd make for more good days. But I fear it is true.

No comments: