Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bye-bye, J.J.

(Meant to post this last week when it happened...and I posted it on the wrong blog. My bad!)

I tend to trust the U.S.S. Mariner guys' evaluation of talent, and they are giving a qualified thumbs-up to the massive deal that sent J.J. Putz, Luis Valbuena, Sean Green, and Jeremy Reed away in exchange for Endy Chavez, Franklin Gutierrez, Aaron Heilman, and Mike Carp.

Putz ran into trouble this year, and while I'm not expert at stuff like this, the list of formerly-untouchable closers who were never quite their old selves after injury is long enough that I'm glad we got two starters for him. USSM is mourning Valbuena, who they think will be a starting second baseman for a while, but he's not that much younger than Jose Lopez, who I'd like to see get it together (although I'm low on patience). Also, closers are overvalued, and it's more common than one would think to get a washed-up minor-league starter and find he can fireball for an inning or two.

So while I'll miss J.J., I can live with the deal--two-thirds of a starting outfield to go with Ichiro isn't a bad haul. And I'm glad that the new GM is shaking things up so completely. The previous status quo was so very bad that just about any change is good.

No comments: