Sunday, November 09, 2008

I just got a Facebook account.

The only reason I did it is because next month's Public Forum debate topic is on whether social networking web sites have, on balance, been good for the United States. So I'm sitting back, watching the friends roll in.

As best as I can tell, the Con side needs to argue that social networking sites keep us away from our neighbors, in our bubble, and prevent us from ever talking with people who disagree with us. The way Facebook is set up, how would I ever really have a conversation with someone whose different views will expand my own?

Anyway, if you know me, go ahead and friend me. We'll see how long this lasts. (But my first impression is that I like it.)

3 comments:

Eileen said...

The way *I* make sure I'm "talking with people who disagree with [me]" is by "friending" members of my family.

;)

Alison said...

I have plenty of friends who disagree with me, and Facebook seems to parallel that. Witness the friends who listed themselves as fans of McCain and Palin...

Basically, social networking sites (at least the ones designed like Facebook) will only keep you in your bubble if you were inclined to do that in real life anyhow.

Melissa said...

Interesting. Eileen and I adhere to the same theory...but it my case, it's mostly my in-laws I'm "friending."