Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The profane things I shouted at the television screen

There's really no point in me rebutting. All Giuliani and Palin had were ad hominem attacks and one-line zingers. The only Obama one-liner I remember is the one about how McCain said he'd follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell, but won't even follow him to his cave in Afghanistan. That's a policy-related zinger, not the "he's elitist, he's arrogant" crap they kept throwing out there tonight.

Plus, this is her sixth day in the limelight and I've already got Palin fatigue similar to my Clinton fatigue...and it took them nearly 16 years to make me sick of them.

So much to say...too much. I'm tempted to sort out what I think has and has not been sexist about attacks on Palin. (In short: saying she needs to be a mom instead of running=sexist. People focusing on her looks, like both Joe Biden and Republicans wearing buttons saying she's "hot" did=sexist. Saying she's not experienced enough=not sexist. Did you see Stephen Colbert's line the other night? "And I will tell you, nation, I am sick and tired of people saying Sarah Palin is inexperienced. It is sexism, pure and simple. Her enemies wouldn't be saying this if she was a man like Frank Matheny. Oh, you don't know Frank? He's the mayor of Boot Hill, Montana; population: 7,500. In about 20 months, he's going to make a great vice president.")

Crap. I got carried away. Just because the comment's in parentheses doesn't mean it's not written...

But I'm honestly not worried. She didn't show enough tonight to convince fence-sitters that she should be a heartbeat away.

3 comments:

tommyspoon said...

In short: saying she needs to be a mom instead of running=sexist.

I disagree; I would ask the same question if Sarah Palin were Sam Palin.

Is it sexist to ask how her family situation may compromise her ability to execute the office of Vice President?

It may be an indelicate question, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be asked.

TeacherRefPoet said...

Spoon,

[redacted due to political content]

So, as you can see, I'm clearly correct on this one.

tommyspoon said...

Sigh... so how long will I have to wait to view the redacted material? ;-)