Friday, September 12, 2008

Palin interview

I just watched chunks of it on-line.

This is scary-ass shit.

I'm obviously really offended as both a human and a Christian when Palin states that the Iraq war is "a task that is from God." (Palin apparently skipped the parts of the Bible that refute her...a.k.a. the parts where Jesus spoke.)

But what's worse is that she looked us all in the eyes (Charlie Gibson is our proxy here) and said this:

"The reference there is a repeat of Abraham Lincoln's words when he said...first he suggested, 'Never presume to know what God's will is.' And I never would presume to know God's will or speak God's words."

Governor! Comparing the morality of a war to free an enslaved people/preserve the Union and a pre-emptive war with ever-shifting rationale is problematic to say the least. So, as I see it, you sure as heaven don't get to use any whiff of Abraham Lincoln to justify Iraq.

But worse...WAY worse...she says that these are Lincoln's words that she was "repeating":

"Let us not pray that God is on our side. Let us pray that we are on God's side."

That's not what you said, Governor. You said "ours is a task that is from God." You were not praying that you were doing the right thing. You were telling people, in a smug, certain, Bushesque manner, that we were doing God's work. Look at your statement and Lincoln's side-by-side, Governor. They are actually opposites. You are guilty of exactly the sin that Lincoln warned us against.

And when you look the nation in the eye and lie about it, you are guilty of another sin, which, as I see it, is even worse.

I can't get past this, Governor. Five seconds after I saw you say one thing, you looked me in the eye and told me you actually said the OPPOSITE thing.

I don't need an Orwellian Vice President. Your relationship to the truth in this matter is, indeed, Orwellian. "We are at war with Eastasia...we have always been at war with Eastasia."

Did you honestly think nobody would notice that?

It might be time for me to check the savings account and see if I can spare a few more bucks for Obama.

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

Even Gibson, who angered me with his "out-of-touch" attitude and Republican bias during the Democratic primary "flag-pin" debate seemed scared and skeptical of this crazy woman - did you see him unable to get an answer from her about why she keeps lying about Obama in her campaign 'speeches'?

For me the biggest, reddest flag is the fact that none of her 'handlers' will let this woman take direct questions from the media or anyone....

That's is frightening.