Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First day of school

went very nicely today. The two small classes feel great...they're full of kids who want to be there. My two big junior classes felt right. They were laughing at my jokes and hanging on my next word (because they weren't quite sure what it would be).

That fifth class, a smaller junior class, may be a challenge. But I think I'll get it licked. You see, I don't have a seating chart on day one. They sit wherever they want, and on the note cards they turn in, I ask if they have a seating preference and try to honor it (as far as where they are in the room...NOT who they sit near). There was a gang of five athletes who seemed to follow the rule of "it's okay to talk while TRP talks as long as it's at a lower volume than TRP talks." Not so much, fellas! I made sure to put their cards on the bottom of the pile so that none of them are seated anywhere NEAR each other.

First lunch starts at 10:20 AM. What the hell's up with that?

Anyhow, I'm feeling SO much better about this year already. Looking forward to getting a lot of teaching done.

1 comment:

tommyspoon said...

RE: First lunch.

What time does the day begin? When I was in HS, we started at 7:35 and our first lunch was at 11:15.