Friday, September 26, 2008

Can't get this thought out of my head

If McCain doesn't show in Mississippi tonight (and I think he will), CNN is reporting that Obama will ask Jim Lehrer to make it into a town-hall meeting with questions. Whether Lehrer does that or not, this will turn into a 90-minute infomercial (which is why I can't believe McCain won't show).

There might be 1000 reasons this won't work, but I still can't get it out of my head...

Why not invite Libertarian Bob Barr? Say "The American People want an exchange on the issues, and since Senator McCain won't give them that, I thought I'd invite a candidate who would give the people what they want." Then shift the topic to the economy--thus giving both candidates the same amount of time to prepare, eliminating Barr's disadvantage.

That would, I think, be better for both Obama and the country than the infomercial would. (Plus, it'd help Barr pick off some votes from McCain. Not that this factors into my plan at all.)

So do it, Obama. Offer to pick him up in your plane if you have to.

4 comments:

realsupergirl said...

no way is McSame gonna not show if Obama goes. And I can't see Obama being convinced to cancel his appearance.

Although, what network is it on? If it were FOX, which I don't think is the case, I could imagine the network canceling the debate and spinning it in the Republicans favor. And I only trust the rest of the media not to do this a modicum more.

Alison said...

The debate is on all the networks (ABC, PBS, NBC, Fox, and CBS are all running it). The last I heard, the organizers were saying it's on, and I think there's just been a press release that McCain will be there. Not much of a surprise, of course. He'd be a complete idiot to stay home.

TeacherRefPoet said...

Presidential debates are always on all networks.

In any event (and as I suspected), McCain will be there.

tommyspoon said...

I was so looking forward to Obama debating a cardboard cutout of McCain... :-(