Friday, May 23, 2008

My aim was true

Did three songs. "Centerfold," which was a massive hit. "Oh! Darling." At the end of it, I thought "Gee, I guess I don't have that high note anymore," and then realized, "wait...I'm not sure I've EVER had that high note...what was I thinking?" But I sold it as best I could. And I closed with a special song. At one of the darkest moments of my vocal troubles--at a point where I was told phrases like "permanent damage" "too late" and "no singing again," I had a dream where I sang a song to Swankette, whom I was then only just beginning to date. I don't buy dreams as portents of the future, but when I woke up I felt so wonderful that it helped me realize I had something special going. I've fantasized about singing this song to her in ways other than just chilling on the couch, and tonight, I got to realize that fantasy.

The song? "Alison." Which is weird in two ways: 1. It's not my wife's name. 2. It's about a chick that a dude has broken up with who is making horrible, slutty life choices and trying to get through to her. That's two reasons why it's a weird song to be central romantic song in any relationship, but since it was in that critical dream of mine, it's one of "our" songs. And I loved singing it tonight.

After that third song, the backup vocalist/cruise director (who changed pants ON STAGE four times during the night) said something like this: "Let's hear it for Teach. Every goddamn fucking song was so fucking great tonight."

Cool. And it was a major rush to be up there. The band absolutely rocked. I expected them to merely be adequate, but they were tremendous. I'll be back.

When's the last time I've been out this late? (For the record, there's no school on Friday.)

4 comments:

Joe said...

Sweet! Sounds like a ton of fun.

Alison said...

Very cool. Although I admit a certain amount of squickiness at your third song. That might just be me, though :-)

TeacherRefPoet said...

"squickiness." That's new to me, Alison--could you help me out?

Late late at night I forgot to mention that my bride was a hit with "Punk Rock Girl." The rehearsal paid off.

Alison said...

"Squickiness" - comes from "squicked out" - not quite "creepiness," but along the same lines. Vague unease? Often caused by things like platonic friends singing decidedly non-platonic songs that, while you adore them in principal, were somewhat ruined by people yelling the chorus at you in the hallways in high school.