Wednesday, May 07, 2008

It's worth a shot.

It might be a half-court heave, but I'll send an email to try to get Senator Clinton to drop out.

Not to her...God knows not to her. But to my senators, both of whom support Clinton as superdelegates.

My letter--a slightly different approach to my baby's letter from a couple of months back. It mostly focuses on the bleeping math.

Here's what I wrote:

***

Dear Senator,

I am writing to you as a fellow Washington Democrat who is concerned about the protracted race for the nomination. I would like to ask you to switch your vote as a superdelegate and back Senator Barack Obama rather than Senator Hillary Clinton.

I recognize that this would be a difficult move for you both personally and professionally. I assume that you have developed friendships with Senator Clinton over your time in Washington, and that it would not feel right to back out on the commitment you made to her. I would have trouble doing that as well. Also, I recognize that such a move might make it difficult and awkward work in the Senate for a while. I respect the difficulty of such a move.

However, particularly with the results of yesterday’s primaries in Indiana and North Carolina, the writing is on the wall. According to my calculations using CNN’s Delegate Counter, even if Senator Clinton wins 60% of the vote in all of the remaining primaries (which she will not), she would subsequently need to capture nearly 75% of the remaining superdelegates to have more total delegates than Senator Obama. This illustrates that any further time Senator Clinton spends in an effort to secure the nomination would be a fruitless endeavor.

Senator Clinton’s actions in the past 24 hours worry me. They prevent the party from focusing on November. Further, they make me question her decision-making ability. When Senator Clinton does what her gut tells her to do when faced with undeniable, mathematical evidence that Senator Obama will win, how is her decision-making different from the worst decisions of our current President?

I fear that Senator Clinton will only do what is best for the country and the party if she faces pressure from outside sources. Even if she does not recognize that the race is essentially mathematically over at this point, she will be forced to if valued colleagues like you help to make it clear. By publicly shifting your superdelegate commitment to Senator Obama, you will help to end this unfortunate, protracted, fruitless battle.

Furthermore, you will show that your loyalty to your Democratic constituents, who voted for Obama both in the caucus and the primary, outweighs your loyalty to Senator Clinton. I, for one, would deeply appreciate those priorities.

Again—for the good of the party and the good of our country’s next four years, please publicly shift your support to Senator Obama.

Thank you for your time.

***
We'll see how it goes...probably nowhere, but at least I'm on board.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I think this is fair.

tommyspoon said...

From your mouth to God's ears, my friend. ;-)

Lovely letter, FWIW.