Saturday, April 26, 2008

Ken Hutcherson's defective Bible

Ken Hutcherson may be my least favorite person in the Pacific Northwest. I've talked about him before. He's dedicating much of his life's energy into denying gays human rights, and preaching the idea at his Antioch Bible [sic] Church [sic].

I'm even angrier at him now because yesterday he decided, rather than going after gay adults, he'd go after gay kids and their friends at Snoqualmie's Mt. Si High School.

The problem, I'm afraid, like most large problems, resulted from several small ones, and not all of them stem from Hutcherson.

First, and most importantly, Mt. Si decided to invite Rev. Hutcherson (the father of a Mt. Si student) to speak at their Martin Luther King Day assembly.

What, was Mel Gibson unavailable?

Hutcherson agreed to speak only about his experiences growing up Black in Alabama, but still, with his known bigotry, the decision to invite him in was absolutely laughable.

But the teachers dropped the ball.

One teacher booed him. Another asked him a question accusing him of hypocrisy. While I'm 100% in agreement with the teachers' opinions--Hutcherson is absolutely a hypocrite--the teachers can't do that in school. Students, however, should have felt free to do either--but you can't cross that line as a teacher on the job, I'm afraid. I might have considered slipping him a note that said "Matthew 25" on it, but when you're a host, you can't publicly embarrass your guests, even if they're horrible bigots.

Well, Hutcherson, since he's a terrible human being, decided that he needed to
get revenge on Mt. Si. He actually said as much, telling the Seattle Times that he decided to go after Mt. Si because they embarrassed him and his daughter.

He targeted the Day of Silence.

Gay/Straight alliance groups in high schools nationwide host a Day of Silence every year. Supportive students spend the day not speaking to show how GLBT students are "silenced."

At both schools I've taught at, students participating knew that they had to break their silence if required for educational reasons. In other words, stay silent, but if you're called on by a teacher, have to participate in a presentation or a discussion, or otherwise are required to speak for educational reasons, you have to make an exception and talk. Kids have understood this, and were able to make their point without hurting learning--theirs or others'.

Apparently Mt. Si did not have this rule in the past, and kids were silent even when called on. This gave Hutcherson and his gay-hating allies a little ammunition...they could claim that Day or Silence was disruptive to education.

Also, a well-meaning Mt. Si teacher on a past Day of Silence had chosen to remain silent, which doubtless hindered his/her ability to teach. It would have been far better if this teacher had simply worn a ribbon to show his/her support, as I have done on Days of Silence in the past.

These things in combination meant Hutcherson got to lead about 100 of his allegedly-Christian friends in a protest outside of Mt. Si yesterday morning.

That's right: Hutcherson has gone from attacking gay adults' rights to picking on gay kids, as well as every misfit who is called "faggot" at school. I guess Hutcherson believes Jesus would look the other way and allow that to happen.

And I'm angry. I'm angry because this "Christian [sic]" harms my religion. When people think "Christian" in this country, I'm afraid that Hutcherson and his friends are the first people to come to their minds. Not the loving millions of Chrstians I know. Not the beautiful lesbian who married my wife and me. Nope. It's this one, awful, horrible, hateful guy.

I've never understood two things about anti-gay Christians:

1. Why is it that fundamentalist Christians think about gay sex more than gay people do? I don't obsess on any sex in the world other than the sex I'm having. Why do they?

Jesus never talks about homosexuality. He does say that He is the law, and that we should follow Him. That means that Hutcherson's selective look at Leviticus is misguided. So much for Antioch "Bible [sic]" Church [sic].

Nor does it factor in the fact that the word translated as homosexuality used in the Old Testament often meant "sex between a man and a boy," rather than between two adults, in its original language. Or that many cults that early Christians were competing with had sex with boys as a part of their customs, and that early Christians may have rightfully been repudiating that.

Nope. Hutcherson wants to hate gay people, including gay kids, and their straight classmates who are ridiculed for being thought of as gay. He can't let the facts in the way.

2. Does Hutcherson's Bible have Matthew 25 in it? I suspect there was a misprint and it was let out. Because he doesn't seem to follow it:

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Got that, Reverend? "I was a stranger, and ye took me in."

Reverend Hutcherson--how were you treating your downtrodden fellow human beings yesterday? How were you treating Jesus, who resides in each of them?

You were protesting against Him, creating an atmosphere where He's more likely to be thrown up against a locker and called "faggot--" as so many of your fellow Christians are every single day.

Please, sir. Insert this passage back into your Bible. Come to Jesus' side.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Sigh. I understand, too, why the teachers didn't want to hold their tongues, but like you, I would have done it anyway. I think people like him actually get something out of a belief system that allows them to feel superior without ever having to break a sweat or do a single decent thing.

tommyspoon said...

TRP, I think that most of us "non-believers" realize that most Christians do not fall into the "Hutcherson" category. But what scares me about his ilk is the way they use the framework of organized religion to spread their hatred. In an ideal world, nobody should take this idiot (or his kinsmen, the Fallwells, the "God Hates Fags" folk, the TD Jakes') seriously. But people do. And I believe it is because they are "organized". Organization lends legitimacy.

Back to the matter at hand, I have a question: Was this the only person that could speak about MLK's legacy? Was that the only reason to invite this freak in the first place?