Sunday, April 13, 2008

I hate this government

I never thought I could think less of Bush and his buddies, but I've hit new lows twice in the last 24 hours.

First, I read this article. As the process was in motion to decide whether polar bears were an endangered species, Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne was making deals to open up portions of the Arctic ocean floor to oil drilling. His priority, rather than determining what ought to be done scientifically, seems to have been to get the business deal done. The article left me convinced there won't be any polar bears left in 100 years--and that Bush and Kempthorne have done everything they can to speed up that date.

Then, today, on my way home from watching my in-danger-of-collapse Mariners, I listened to this episode of This American Life. If you've got some time, check it out, especially the second story. It shows a government whose desire for dictatorial powers brings it down to pettiness that hurts many people. Case in point: There are currently a small number of immigrants who are in a sad and unique situation. All of them married American citizens and submitted the proper paperwork to become citizens themselves. Before they had been married two years, as they waited for their meetings where they are quizzed on the legitimacy of the marriage, their American spouses died. Horrible, tragic stuff...one in a car accident, one of cancer, one of sleep apnea gone horribly awry. The government's response: Letters that read "We're sorry for your loss. You will now be deported." Even in the many cases where the immigrant had an American child! Anyway, the government, who processes 30,000 immigration cases every day, has decided to focus on these 134, and to fight tooth-and-nail to get these immigrants out of the country. Perhaps they believe that some terrorists entered this country, got married to US citizens, submitted proper paperwork, had their spouses die of natural or accidental causes, and then decided to try to remain in the US as citizens. What a devious, evil plan!

After listening to this, I needed something light for the last 20 miles or so of my drive. 60s and 70s radio oughta do the trick, I figured. And whattaya know, up popped my second-favorite Hall and Oates song. "Rich Girl." It's a fun one to sing along with. I'm proud I know some of the trickier lyrics, like "You can see money, money won't get you too far, get you too far." So I sang boisterously to improve my mood. But we got to a later verse, where I didn't know the lyrics, and I'll be damned if Daryl Hall didn't encapsulate the inherent sins of the powerful with one lyric:

"It's so easy to hurt others when you can't feel pain."

Geez. I almost crashed the car. I'm not sure I've seen a better, even if unintended, critique of the Republican party.

Hey, neocons:

It's a bitch, girl, but it's gone too far.

2 comments:

tommyspoon said...

Two tragic stories, but another one appeared last Friday that is just as bad.

We are led by sadistic children.

Paula said...

The cruelty of this regime makes one heartsick, doesn't it? These things are done in my name, and yours, and all the rest of us. Makes me want to pound my head against a wall.