Saturday, January 12, 2008

Some books

I spent a recent gift Powell's card today during the early football game (when I want to watch 4 football games in one weekend, I make it a point to watch them all on Tivo so it's 5 hours instead of 12). I bought a book of poems by Erin Belieu because she said on the back cover that she listened to Aimee Mann's Bachelor #2 while writing the book. Then, the first poem I saw had Bill Parcells as a central figure...knocked it out of the park. That book had to be mine.

Then I bought Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope so I could try to figure out what he's about. Let me tell you straight up: a Clinton/McCain election would be a tough decision for me, and might be my first Republican vote. As of now, Obama's my man--I think. Maybe Clinton can convince me that she has thoughts that are not driven merely by what is popular, but I'm highly skeptical.

Next came a travel book about Arkansas. Swankette and I cashed in some frequent flier miles this morning, so it's official: we will do the Ozarks over Spring Break, including minor league games in Little Rock and Springfield, MO. I'd like to know where I'm going and what to do.

Finally came a little ditty called 1000 Places to See Before You Die: US and Canada.

Sure sounds like a challenge to me!

Of course I'm worried about my OCD kicking in, and about my life being wasted if I don't make all 1000 of these. My dear wife said that we needed to put our initials by the places we have been.

I'm proud to say that, as of now, I have been to 111 of the 1000 places I need to see before I die.

Since I don't yet have information on exactly when I'll die, it's a bit challenging to make it to the remaining 889. Additionally, there are some time-specific ones that are a bit tricky (I'm supposed to enjoy Thanksgiving both at Plymouth Plantation and see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade), some that are bad for a guy with my food allergies (I'm supposed to have both an Alabama and a Georgia barbeque?), and some that I don't think I'd enjoy at all (sorry, but no way I'll ever do Mardi Gras in New Orleans). But I still feel like 111 isn't a bad number. If Swankette and I make it to half of the 1000, I think I can call it good.

Better go win the lottery, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Books are indeed important.

=Your Books Reviews=