Friday, December 28, 2007

I guess the ten-year-old never really goes away...

I have completed my baseball database for games I have seen through 1996. '96 was my first year in Seattle and my first year going to Mariner games (8 of them that year). It's fun looking at names I forgot I remembered (Rusty Meacham) and guys I forgot were Mariners (Mark Whiten).

So it was in a relatively nostalgic moment that I came across this article on ESPN.com. It centers on Shane Monahan, who played in 78 games for the M's in 1998 and 1999. Although nobody remembers him (I faintly do), and although his name did not appear in the Mitchell report, he says he wanted to talk about his use of steroids and amphetamines because "I don't want kids from college or kids from high school going through what I had to go through. I certainly don't want my son, 20 years from now, having to be faced with that decision so he could play professional sports."

I certainly admire that. And I don't think that I'm capable of being surprised that so many players, by Monahan's account, were using steroids at the time. He even suggests that Lou Piniella hinted that Monahan needed to use. Amphetamines? Monahan says that he saw every Mariner teammate take greenies except for Dan Wilson, whose religious beliefs prevented him from doing them. He says the M's ridiculous travel schedule all but necessitated amphetamine use.

Again, I'm not surprised at the likelihood that, if Monahan is to be believed (and I don't see why he'd lie), my beloved Edgar, Bone, and Junior were popping uppers.

So why is it that I feel so sad at this decade-old news?

No comments: