Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Al Gore's book

On my way home from my recent quickie baseball trip (to be put on the baseball site as soon as the computer situation is remedied), I read The Assualt on Reason, which I've been intending to do for some time. It wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting the book to focus on his introduction--which discusses the is that people don't seem to value logic or evidence much anymore, particularly in politics. I was eager to read why this might be the case, and what we can do about it. Instead I got an entire book of Bush-bashing. It was very good, very high-quality Bush-bashing. He absolutely dismembers him in all sorts of areas. I hate him more now, think he should probably be impeached (which I didn't necessarily think before reading the book), and am intensely POd about his incredible disregard for the Constitution. There are similar chapters about the decision to invade Iraq, the environment, and other issues.

So I'm reading, thinking "Yup, Bush sucks. Yup, still sucks. Uh-huh...bad President."

Alas, that's not what I wanted. I wanted to know a lot more about how this happens, and why so many people buy it.

Maybe I read Obama's book next. He's my horse right now, but I'm not as enthusiastic about him as I would be about Gore.

2 comments:

tommyspoon said...

I suggest "What's the Matter with Kansas".

GrigorPDX said...

He's charismatic as hell and his orator's voice is like music to my ears, but I just can't seem find any enthusiasm for supporting Obama.

I heard someone on NPR refer to Clinton as "the Republicans' worst nightmare" yesterday. Something about that really resonated with me. Maybe it's because it follows the whole "I'll talk with anyone" vs. "I won't be used for propaganda" thing that makes me thing Obama is just too inexperienced and idealistic to win. It's sad and cynical - I want to support him, but I just can't.