Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Some moving frustrations

Well, as my wife has reported in multiple posts, our condo has been on the market for about a week...but we just took it off. Why?

Although our realtor said we'd sell this place fast due to its location and price, it ain't happening.

We had two people visit last Thursday and one on Friday. I hate the feeling of staying at home trying to keep everything so obscenely neat that I could leave at any given moment, so I've been out of the house a lot, finding friends and family to hang with. Plus my honey and I went to the 'Couv to look over our possible new houses over the weekend, anticipating at least a few people visiting on Saturday (I figured the three Thursday/Friday visitors were a good harbinger.)

Nobody came.

Realtor said that it might be because of the Bite of Seattle, the rainy weather (like that stops Seattleites from doing anything?), or a sale at Nordstroms that kept people out. I find all three to be ridiculous explanations, but she's the pro.

She also suggested that it could just be the summer lull. August is the weakest month for purchases, and we're nearly there.

She also said the place smells like cat, and that she hadn't noticed it the first time, but it smells like it now because or recent humidity. I don't think the smell is cat, but rather paint.

In any event, it's prudent to take this place off the market, pack up everything this weekend (there's not much left, so it won't take long), and be out of here by the end of the week next week. Once gone, we will replace the carpet (which we pay for) and have a nice cleaning done (which we don't).

I don't mind replacing the carpet, since we'll probably make more money on it in the end. But that, along with the moving expenses and storage costs for all our stuff (since we'll be crashing at the in-laws' until our place sells and we can buy a new one), is a lot of money. It won't be any big problem once we sell the condo, since we'll come out ahead enough to absorb it all. But in the meantime, it'll be a financial annoyance.

Arrrgh. But this too shall pass. And at least now I can muss up some pillows and stuff without worrying about strangers judging me.

2 comments:

Eve said...

According to our realtor, August is the worst month for selling property. There's just NOTHING happening. And of course, it's a bad seller's market right now, in general.

I'm sure it'll get sold eventually.

TeacherRefPoet said...

I'm still optimistic it will be sooner rather than later. It's still a seller's market for Seattle-area condos--they haven't been impacted by the rest of the nation's malaise. And this place really does have a lot going for it, and is reasonably priced (by Seattle standards).

But August--yeah.