Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Calculus

Last week, I was chatting with one my school's AP Calculus teachers.

I took AP Calc as a junior back in 1987. I was the first junior in the history of my high school to take it. Everyone had plans for me to be a math/science stud forever. But I caught the humanities bug in HS and that pretty well took care of it for me. I haven't taken a math or science class since then, and that includes my senior year in high school. I'm a tad embarrassed by that, but I stand by the decision. I'm happy now...but I'm poor.

Anyway, we were chatting. Sometimes teachers are surprised to learn I've got some game outside the humanities. He was impressed to find that I got a 4 on the exam 20 years ago.

This got me curious. Given that I haven't even thought about calculus in 20 years, how long would it take for me to get it back? Especially given that my brain seems to be turning to a less-tasty version of tapioca pudding?

My friend said he could have me passing the AP Calculus exam in a month.

HUH? I utterly doubt him.

Now, here's the funny thing. So today, my wife is cleaning her shelves off, and found an all-but-forgotten Calculus textbook she's set to unload. I ask for it, and what do you know...someone else claims it!

Anyhoo...I'm curious. Do you think I could pass the AP Calculus test in a month? I mean with relatively normal pacing...no cramming.

1 comment:

tommyspoon said...

You are braver man than I am, TRP...