Saturday, September 23, 2006

If you're in your mid-thirties, please respond

Are you starting to forget words? It just took me two whole minutes to come up with the word "organic."

What's that damn word...natural? close, no, that's not it...[smack my head]...wait...germane? not quite...it's some word involving plants...germinate?...no...shit shit shit...[hide under my shirt collar] [smack my head again]...what the FUCK is that FUCKING WORD????...god damn it...wait...it's almost there...the word is...germane! no, I've already thought of that...shit...oh...I've got it...it's like natural...it's...germane...NO! it's something else...ahhh. Organic.

Please tell me I'm not alone on this one. It legitimately scares me, and it only started happening about a year ago.

7 comments:

Joe said...

No. I am not starting. This phema... phona... phebada... thingy... has been going on for some time now.

On the other hand, in just the last few weeks, I have become noticably worse at confusing people's names. I'm really having trouble looking at one person and naming another.

[Arnold]Izz not a tuu-mah.[/Arnold]

GrigorPDX said...

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have absoluely no problems with my ... oh hell, what's the word ... reload ... no, repeat ... no, recall Yeah! That's it! My recall is working perfectly! ;-)

Venzmama said...

I am [ahem] a little older than mid-30's, but sorry to say that it only gets worse. I think it's because we have so much in our brains already that something has to give. For me this week it was the word "shroud." I was writing an essay on Glaspell's "A Jury of Her Peers" and I didn't think my professor would appreciate my using "that doohicky they wrap dead people up with..." Thank God for the internet.

Alison said...

I only lose words when I am sleep deprived (at which point I've been told that hearing me talk around a word is pretty comical). On the other hand, I seem to have become constitutionally incapable of remembering people's names. I have three sections of 25 students each this quarter, and I despair of ever knowing anyone beyond the level of "big guy with headphones who likes ACDC."

TeacherRefPoet said...

I'm pleased to say I'm very good at getting the names of all 115 of my students. Of course, they all totally vanish over the summer. When I come back, and a kid comes up and says "Mr. RefPoet, great to see you!" I always say "Good to see you too, kid!" But the kids in my actual room? I'm rock-solid on those.

John B. said...

Yes, when 'thingy' has become the most used noun in your daily language, you know that you are slowly losing your faculties.

I find that the 'right' or ideal word often escapes me, even at 38.

Anonymous said...

I do that all the time, although I try and blame my dyslexia rather than age. Like John, "thingy" is a well-worn word around our house. The scary part is that my husband usually knows what I'm talking about.