Monday, July 31, 2006

Quick vacation check-in:

Here's what weather.com has to say about Peoria, IL right now:

***
Sunny
97°F
Feels Like
111°F
Updated Jul 31 04:00 p.m. CT

UV Index: 5 Moderate
Wind: From SSW at 13 mph
Humidity: 51%
Pressure: 29.83 in.
Dew Point: 76°F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
***

Great day for a ballgame!

On Saturday night, I caught my first ever foul ball. I was in Nashville, and the ball was off the bat of Salt Lake's Vinny Rottino. I was in the top row, and caught a fast-moving thing that was looping parallel to the foul line. On the fly. One-handed. In my glove. I got cheers from three sections, which I greedily accepted. Four innings later, during the seventh-inning stretch, a dude turned to me and said "Nice grab!" As I left, a teenage kid looked at me and said "Good game."

I have never been manlier. And friends like pankleb and John B. who taunt me with their foul balls (cool double entendre!)...well, no more. I am now one of you. Actually, I think a little better...believe me, this catch was WAY COOL.

I miss my wife, but will assuage that with five more ballgames: Peoria, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, and Altoona. After tomorrow, the forecast becomes less hellish.

More in a week. Spoon, is everything going okay? As man of the house, you need to be responsible.

2 comments:

John B. said...

Congrats....welcome to the club!

pankleb said...

You did it!
A one-handed glove snag, just like me!