Thursday, April 28, 2005

My thirties--Part Two

I turn 35 on Friday.

Wednesday, two days before my 35th b-day, standing in my classroom right in the middle of the kids' standardized testing, I suddenly, surprisingly, and vividly realized that I will be forty years old discernibly soon. The moment nearly knocked me to the ground.

I don't know exactly how to communicate this, but I had never in my life really considered the reality of me-as-forty-year-old until that moment Wednesday. It hasn't even been a fathomable concept. All at once, it's more than fathomable. It's possible. Shit, it's imminent. And that's weird. Not scary, not macabre. Just really, really bizarre.

6 comments:

tommyspoon said...

[Nelson Munz]

Happy Birthday, old dude. Man, yer old...

Ha ha!

[/Nelson Munz]

lemming said...

Happy Birthday!

I'm still not used to being 30, even though it's now old news.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, trp. I turned 34 on Tuesday, and it feels markedly older than 33. My boss tells me it's because I'm now older than Jesus was before he died. Is that a way of saying I'm older than God?

MCMC in MPLS

pankleb said...

Happy birthday.

Jim said...

Happy Existential Crisis B-Day! Up next: a Harley, leather chaps, and long, flowing hair.

Joe said...

Ummmm... and pants. Please, for the love of god, under the leather chaps, pants.