Sunday, March 13, 2005

-Sideways-

Saw it on Friday night. Didn't like it as much as my friends and family insisted I would, but I liked it. Well made. Sad. Interesting.

I'm finding as I get older that the morose stuff I used to like doesn't touch me as deeply as it used to. (See this old-but-good post on my beloved Aimee Mann.) And I suspect that, had I seen Sideways in my mid-20s, it would have been hugely impactful to me. But when I see the Paul Giamatti character trying to stumblebum through depression, I recognize it and am moved by it, but am not transfixed as I once may have been. What's strange is that I don't know what has replaced the old morose stuff as my "new" style.

I like seeing interesting movies with brilliant people like my baby. We talked for some time about why Giamatti's character drank the 1961 bottle when he did, and whether that was a victory or a defeat. I'm still mulling that over, which means it must have been a great movie.

It occurred to me that this was my first night in the movie theater since Election Night (Ray). Now that the coaching and reffing seasons are over, my baby and I should try to get to the movies a little more. I wonder if I'll like Million Dollar Baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really disliked Sideways, actually. Beautifully shot, and it made me want to learn more about wine, but ultimately, there's only one likeable character in the whole movie. (That'd be Maya). It's a really crappy treatment of depression (having watched people I love struggle through it...) and in the end, unless it's woody allen, a whole film about other people's neuroses just isn't interesting to me anymore. We rented Ray last night. Can't wait to watch.
pax
MCMC in MPLS

TeacherRefPoet said...

MCMC--

What did you dislike about the treatment of depression? I've been there, and I was okay with the portrayal. What'd I miss?