Friday, March 25, 2005

Elderly Relatives

I've decided that I need to audiotape a conversation with some of my more elderly relatives before we lose them. I want to record their perspectives on my family so we don't forget, but also am curious as to their views of what was going on in this world, nation, and their city (Detroit) in the first half of the 20th century.

I've just emailed a big list of questions to my parents, who are in Detroit and will conduct the interview with my octo- and nonagenarian relatives. I'll be in Florida next week to talk to another one.

What are the questions that you would ask if you were doing what I'm doing?

4 comments:

lemming said...

How did you meet your spouse? When and where did you propose?

I'd probably also ask some "slice of life" questions - what rationed items did you miss during WWII? Did they have Victory Gardens?

Did they like Elvis? etc.

lemming said...

How did you meet your spouse? When and where did you propose?

I'd probably also ask some "slice of life" questions - what rationed items did you miss during WWII? Did they have Victory Gardens?

Did they like Elvis? etc.

Shannin said...

I would ask about prices. My dad has an old price list from his great-grandfather's corner market. It's interesting to see that eggs cost 15 cents for a dozen.

Alison said...

My family is big into passing down this sort of stuff. The first thing I would ask is for identification of all those people in photographs that aren't labeled. The other one would be "funniest story you can remember about your parents."