Thursday, February 24, 2005

I wonder if this is happening at the alma mater...

Wal-Mart didn't open until my sophomore year...or was it later?...so we didn't have a chance to pass the wee hours doing this. (Thanks to Jim at Decorabilia for the link.)

Of course, with a real movie theater opening up down the road, they probably don't have to invent fun like this anymore. I don't want to sound curmudgeonly, but I think that's a shame...something has been lost. And I probably wouldn't have enjoyed playing Wal-Mart Scavenger Hunt much...would have felt like I was infringing somehow, always looking over my shoulder.

I wonder if Wal-Mart games replace naked parties? (Never went to one. Alas.) I also never went to a frat party. At the time, I felt all smug and holier-than-thou about that. Now, I feel like I should have gone to at least one. I'm 34 now, so it's far too late...I will die without having attended a frat party. Sigh...

Please forgive this aimless ramble. I'm taking care of my baby and waiting to inevitably get her flu. But is it inevitable? Has my 6-year-backlog teacher immunity become so strong that it can even fight off the 102-degree-fever of the woman I'm living in sin with? Stay tuned...

9 comments:

Joe said...

Calling the local movie theatre "real" is kind of charitable, but it is interesting to wonder whether it's cut down on the late-night Krogering.

One notorious campus party encourages "shocking" costume. There's been some discussion among my crowd of setting up a judging bench outside it and rating the costumes as the students come in. We're thinking about a qualitative judging system, so we'll need signs which say things like "Shocking," "Surprising," "Not Shocking," "Vaguely Lewd," "Merely Unfortunate..."

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Oooh! Lemme know when it is and I'll gladly bring the signs!

Regards,
tommyspoon

lemming said...

Don't remember a Wal-Mart, but do remember K Mart opening in the fall of 1991. Ikes, alas, is no more.

TeacherRefPoet said...

What do they mean by "shocking"? Boobs falling out? SS Uniforms? Open power lines?

(I vote for the first one.)

Jim said...

Am I holier-than-thou for being glad I've never thrown up in someone else's car? So be it. "He pisses holy water," a coworker once said about me, years ago.

Swankette said...

For the record, the temperature never made it to 102, it was a mere 101.9.

TeacherRefPoet said...

Jim,

1. I didn't drink then, and really still don't now...I've never been drunk. But a buddy of mine was the social chair for the Phi Kaps when I was a senior. He invited me over to sit at the bar, drink Cokes and watch people. I should have done that...standing on principle, in retrospect, cost me the opportunity to know what it was I was standing against.

2. I've thrown up in someone else's car. Mrs. Greenlee. I was 3, and it was the first day of preschool after Christmas break. I wasn't sick, I just didn't want to go back to the evil Mrs. Bonner, so I threw up in her car. We switched preschools the next day. To Mrs. Tussey. She kicked butt...loved her. So don't undersell throwing up in a stranger's car. It can be effective in getting what you want.

Joe said...

Yes, it's basically "shocking" meaning "in my underwear." Or occasionally "in someone else's underwear, or underwear purchased for this purpose." But so few people actually commit. The spirit is willing, but the spirit to bare the flesh is weak.

Best answer to this question: Girl in a pregnant suit. That would indeed shock many parents. Runner-up: get a haircut and put on a nice suit and tie. Apparently that kid had tried everything else with no effect.

Shannin said...

I've never been in a WalMart, and I do feel holier-than-thou about that. However if someone were to offer a Scavenger Hunt at Target, I'd be on that like white on rice.