Sunday, January 02, 2005

Last night's dream

Through a series of misadventures, I discover that my poems are published in an anthology. But there's a twist...a couple of my pieces are mixed in with pieces of a guy who shares my first and last name, a German philosopher who died in 1935. It was him they intended to publish, but they ran across my work and mistook it for his. I approach the publisher and demand royalties. They are dubious at first as to whether the work is mine, but I convince them by pointing out images and references in the poems that the previous philosopher-poet-with-my-name could not have known. I get my money, and they put me in the next great American poetry anthology. Through a major fluke, I've made it as a poet.

Hey, it can happen, right? I can (literally) dream.

No comments: